Thursday, August 18, 2011

Now that it is over

I quit preaching at the Five Point Parish on the last Sunday of June and I haven't missed writing the sermons at all. There are, however, some great people in the churches and we miss them just like we miss the people at the other churches where I was pastor. I think that the blessing of being a minister is that one makes so many friends in the churches. The down side is, of course, that one leaves friends behind. Thank goodness for e-mails, phone calls, and our old friend Face Book. :)

When I left my last charge, I was seriously considering taking a part-time ministry job close to home. However, I just could not get personal clarity on it and didn't feel God's call at all. So, I didn't apply. What I do feel God calling me into is a more personal ministry to those around me and also to be more of a mentor to the young, including my own grandchildren. There is no pay for this kind of thing, of course, but what rewards there are when you pour your life and experience into someone else.

So, may God bless and keep all those who have listened to me preach. That mantle, at least for the time, has been laid down.

No comments:

Post a Comment